Sunday, September 22, 2019

Resource Blog #3- NSTA

Image result for science gifsThis week's resource blog, although outside my content area, was really seen as beneficial to me if I were to pursue Science Education. This website provided teachers (or anyone really interested in the Science curriculum) books, articles, and activities for help with instruction. The reason I chose this website specifically was because it provided readings that are real word issues today. Such issues include: global warming, recycling, nonrenewable resources, etc.. It is important to talk about these issues in school not only because they matter but because it keeps the students engaged. Personally, I always wondered why we were learning about specific things in science if we were never going to use that knowledge in the future. This website allows for students, like me, to finally start making connections from the classroom to the real world!
Image result for science gifs
This website also provides experiment outlines for teachers to use if they so choose with a specific lesson. Often times it can be hard to just come up with an experiment for students to conduct so having this resource is not only helpful but a huge time saver. This is a great tool for science teachers to utilize because conduction of experiments in the middle grades science program is a huge part of the curriculum.
Word Count: 211
https://www.nsta.org/publications/freebies.aspx

1 comment:

  1. Alena,
    I enjoy how the NSTA site applies the curriculum so that it is applicable in the real world. Searching the keyword global warming, I found many resources for reading and instructing science. Discussing the issues you mentioned with students, I believe, is an excellent way to spark their interest at the start of a unit, and I thank you for providing this resource.
    Word Count: 64

    ReplyDelete