Monday, September 16, 2019

Synthesis Blog #3- How to Use A Textbook

This week's blog post really focuses on the daunting task of using a textbook. I know for me personally, I never really liked the idea of a textbook because I knew it would require reading. So when my teacher assigned a reading from it or we had to do practice problems out of it, I was never inclined to do so.

Image result for gifs textbooks
However, this chapter in, Subjects Matter, really focuses on how a teacher can use a textbook efficiently, which is something I really appreciate. For instance, Daniels and Zemelman explain "don't leave kids alone with their textbooks...having kids work in pairs, groups, and teams at all stages of reading" in order to fully grasp the concept they are reading (2004, p. 183). This is a great way for kids to be social yet productive in our classroom. Bouncing off ideas from fellow peers and breaking down concepts in small groups can be an excellent strategy to boost not only understanding of the subject but reading comprehension as well.
Word Count: 173

No comments:

Post a Comment